Amir Khan has lost his appeal against his defeat by Lamont Peterson after it was rejected by the International Boxing Federation.
Earlier this month, Peterson scored a controversial win against Khan, in Washington DC, the American fighter’s home town. In the process, Peterson took the British boxer’s IBF and WBA light-welterweight titles, after the judges scored the fight 113-112, 113-112, 110-115 in favour of the local lad.
After the bout, the boxer from Bolton who was twice penalised points deductions criticized the referee, Joe Cooper, for those decisions. As it transpired, Khan, 25, lost the fight on a split judges’ decision, and Khan’s camp appealed to the International Boxing Federation, against the decision.
Khan was perceived as the superior fighter on the night, dropping Peterson on the mat on two occasions. While appealing the decision, Khan wanted a rematch in a neutral venue. Khan claimed that he was unfairly docked by referee Joe Cooper for pushing.
According to the IBF, the outcome of the bout was not affected by Cooper’s deductions, and the organisation held that Cooper was within his rights to make the calls.
While rejecting the appeal, IBF championships chairman Lindsay Tucker said: “We found no discrepancies that would affect the outcome or the result of the fight.”
“We decided not to order an immediate rematch on the basis of the fact that in the rules, if the referee feels that it’s a foul, then that’s his call to take a point. He did warn Khan several times before he actually took the first point.”
Khan has until Tuesday to appeal against the IBF verdict. In case his camp decides to act accordingly, the IBF will have to convene a panel to investigate the contentious fight.
After the IBF’s verdict, Peterson was quoted as saying, “I look forward to doing everything in my power inside and outside of the ring to represent the IBF and WBA as the new champion.”
Peterson relayed his message to Khan via Sky Sports: “Let it go. He lost the fight, he might get a rematch and he’ll get a chance to prove himself. I definitely want a rematch.”
The fighters are expected to meet in a rematch in 2012.
Meanwhile, Khan’s camp are not in a mood to give up easily, though, and are said to be looking at filing separate appeals with the District of Columbia Boxing and Wrestling Commission and the WBA contesting the referees decision and ambiguities over the judges’ scoring.
About the Author (Author Profile)
Jinxatious is the Chief Editor of SportingAttitude.com
An avid writer, on an eclectic range of subjects, he brings to bear editorial experience garnered with a national newspaper in South-East Asia. He also has sportscasting experience, as a cricket commentator, and his passion for sport extends beyond Cricket, to Football, Tennis, and Olympic Sports.